Fairchild Dornier 528 728 928 Final Assembly
AIT was the prime contractor/integrator to Fairchild Dornier to design, fabricate, and install the 728 and 928 jet final assembly line tooling in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, near Munich. The tooling included automated systems used for fuselage center section assembly, fuselage final assembly and wing join assembly as well as transportation vehicles, jacking and leveling systems, work platforms, logistic scaffolding, and lifting fixtures.
Each of the automated assembly fixtures incorporated AIT laser systems to measure positions and orientations of different aircraft assemblies during the joining process. The flexibility of the systems allowed them to build any of the three aircraft models.
- AIT prime contractor/integrator - sole supplier to Fairchild Dornier
- Automated fuselage center section assembly
- Automated positioning of fuselage assembly and wings for final assembly
- Work platforms, scaffolding, and auxiliary tooling
- Capable of building 3 aircraft models: 528, 728 and 928
- 65 machines with 115 axes