Spirit 787 Section 41 Mandrel Assembly/Disassembly
AIT served as the main supplier for the Section 41 mandrel assembly and disassembly systems at the Spirit AeroSystems 321,000-square-foot facility in Wichita, KS. AIT’s mandrel handling systems automatically assemble and disassemble the carbon fiber lay-up mandrel segments as part of the overall production process. The 787’s Section 41 is the 22-foot wide forward fuselage nose section.
- Served as systems integrator and main supplier for mandrel assembly/disassembly
- Delivered mandrel handling system
- Assembly station: one mandrel handler and two ring manipulators
- Disassembly station: one mandrel handler, two ring manipulators, four section manipulators
- Speed and streamline assembly/disassembly processes
- Create leaner labor force with automation